Model Questions for Scientific Assistant (IMD) Exam (Paper-1)
General Science-Set 50
Write and Discuss Your Answer with Q.No in Comment Box at
the Bottom of Post.
1. Dacron, a synthetic polyester fibre is made from
(a) caprolactum and alcohol
(b) phthalic acid and ethylene glycol
(c) phthalic acid and cellulose
(d) terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol.
2. Propellants used in Saturn booster-rocket is:
(a) kerosene oil + liquid oxygen + liquid hydrogen
(b) hydrazine + N2O4
(c) kerosene + liquid O2
3. Which of the following groups represent gaseous fuel ?
(a) Natural gas, liquified petroleum gas
(b) water gas, petrol, coke
(c) coke, wood, producer gas
4. In LPG gas leakage, which substance is used to detect it?
(a) Methyl mercaptan
(b) Sulphuric acid
(c) Ethyl mercaptan
5. Which of the following statement about natural gas is/are true?
(a) It is a mixture of gaseous hydrocarbons.
(b) It is used in the manufacture of fertilizers.
(c) It is used as a fuel.
(d) all of the above
(a) based on the principle of extinguishing fire by cooling the burning
substance below its ignition temperature
(b) based on the principle of extinguishing fire by heating the burning
substance above its ignition temperature
(c) both (a) and (b) (d) None of the above
7. Choose the correct statement(s) from the following
(a) A good pesticide should be cheap, effective, easy to apply in solution
and should be biodegradable
(b) Any inorganic or organic chemical substance, which is used to destroy or
inhibit the action of plant or animal pests, is known as pesticide
(c) pesticides include such chemicals such as insecticides, herbicides,
rodenticidcs, miticides, etc.
(d) All of the above
8. Ordinary glass is a mixture of:
(a) sodium silicate (Na2SiO3), calcium silicate (CaSiO3) and silica (SiO2)
(b) sodium silicate and calcium silicate (CaSiO3)
(c) only sodium silicate and silica
9. Detergents produce lather with hard water because:
(a) they are soluble in hard water
(b) they are colourless substances
(c) the calcium and magnesium salts of sulphonic acid are soluble in water
(d) they form sodium carbonate with hard water
10. A pyrex tumbler does not crack when hot water is poured into it, because
(a) a strong material
(b) does not expand much on heating
(c) is a good conductor of heat
(d) expands equally from inside and outside
1. (d) 2. (a) 3. (a) 4. (c) 5. (d) 6. (a) 7. (d) 8. (a) 9. (c) 10. (b)