Model Questions for SSC CHSL (SET-53) ENGLISH
1. 1. Education in India had a glorious beginning.
P. But after the British rule, it faced many changes.
Q. It went on for centuries with the same glory.
R. English as the medium of instruction had a very great response.
S. One of the changes was the introduction of English as the medium of
2. As the Britishers left we had a complexity of opinions regarding English
2. 1.It is easy to criticize the people at the helm, for the slow progress
in every field.
P. We are well aware that the intellectuals are leaving our country for
better employment opportunities.
Q. Then question remains unanswered because our country cannot show
opportunities to the intellectuals.
R. Then, what about their obligation to the Motherland ?
S. First, we should ask ourselves as to what is happening to the young
intellectuals in India.
2.This situation of ‘Brain-Drain leads to a variety of problems.
3. 1.It is the responsibility of parents to teach the young moral values
P. Many children take advantage of their parents’ busy schedule.
Q. This results in children’s ignorance of social values.
R. The reason behind it is that parents are quite busy nowadays.
S. Nowadays parents spend very meagre time with children.
2. As such, the society is going away from the value system.
4. 1.The man who does his duty without any selfish desire for fruit may be
called a sanyasi as well as yogi.
P. The man who has achieved much evenness of temper will be serene, because
his mere thoughts are changed with the strength of action.
Q. He would practise yoga, i.e., evenness of temper, and cannot but perform
R. The root of the matter is that one should not allow his mind to flit from
object of desire to another and from that to a third.
S. But he who abstains from action altogether is only an idler.
2. A yogi is one who is not attached to his objects of sense or to action and
whose mind has ceased to roam restlessly.
5. 1.This was an important day for at took.
P. It was a cold day, but Alatook would be warm.
Q. For the first time he was going to hunt seals alone.
R. First he put on his fur-lined jacket.
S. Then he put on mittens and boots of deerskin to protect his hands and feet
from the cold.
2. Finally he picked up the gun he had cleaned so carefully the day before.
1. (b) 2. (d) 3. (a) 4. (a) 5. (b)