Model Questions for SSC CGL (SET-54) GENERAL ENGLISH
Directions: In each of the following sentences there are two
blank spaces. Below each five pairs of words have been denoted by numbers (a),
(b), (c),and (d). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks in
the sentence in the same sequence to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
1. Mr. Srinivasan is ___ to become Chairman of the group ____
the retirement of his father.
(a) set, following
(b) voted, subsequent
(c) selected, despite
(d) approved, because
(5) decided, after.
2. ___ to your error the ___ consignment has been delayed by a
(a) According, important
(b) Duly, urgent
(c) Owing, entire
(d) Added, crucial
3. On account of the ___ in sales the software firm has
achieved an eight per cent ___ in net profit.
(a) surge, fall
(b) increase, rise
(c) decline, slope
(d) hike, loss
4. We are proud to say that today ___ 26 per cent of our total
accounts are ___ by women and senior citizens.
(a) approximate, held
(b) nearly, authorised
(c) over, maintain
(d) above, open
5. The company has _____ special training to employees on _____
to trade online.
(a) announced, benefits
(b) offered, course
(c) imparted, risks
(d) sanction, skills
1. (a) 2. (c) 3. (b) 4. (d) 5. (c)