Staff Selection Commission (SR) Chennai
Instructions to the Candidates for Stenography / Proficiency
Test for Stenographer (OG) / Grade ‘D’ & Grade ‘C’ & Departmental Examinations
1. The Commission will provide the Computer and Shorthand
Notebook for the test.
2. For stenography test (on computer) at the speed of 100/120
wpm for Proficiency test for Stenographers for grant of advance increments
is as under:
||Duration of Dictation
||Time allowed for reading the dictation taken
||Time allowed for transcription on computer
3. Candidates are required to report to the Supervisor at the reporting time
indicated on their Admission Certificate. The candidate must bring original
Admission Certificate issued to him/her by the Commission for securing admission
to the Test of Stenography.
4. Travelling and other expenses must be borne by the candidates themselves.
5. The candidates will be required to take their seat ten minutes before
commencement of the Stenography Test. If the computer goes out of order during
transcription, the candidate should not shout or disturb others, but should
remain seated quietly and inform the Invigilator.
6. Candidates should type their particulars (Roll No., etc.) in the space
provided on the screen, verify his/her personal details on the next screen
and press the button ‘CONFIRM’. He should familiarize himself with the
Instructions available on Commission’s website
7. Candidates shall be given two trial passages each of one minute’s duration
which need not be transcribed. Thereafter, the actual passage shall be dictated.
As soon as it is over, the candidates shall return to the transcription room and
read their shorthand notes silently for ten minutes. The time for the
commencement of the transcription will be announced by the Invigilator/Venue
Supervisor as soon as the reading time is over. Thereafter, they will have to
complete their transcription including comparison, correction etc. within the
stipulated time. The candidate shall have to transcribe the shorthand notes in
8. Immediately after the Stenography test is over, the candidate will have to
write in his/her own handwriting one paragraph of about 50-60 words from the
Shorthand passage given to him/her on a separate sheet and will have to put
his/her name, Roll No. and signature at the end.
9. Candidates should not tear any sheet given to them. When the printout of
the transcript typed by him/her is given to him/her, he/she must write his
roll no. and name on each page, sign and handover the same to the
10. They should not take either script or any blank typing paper out of the
11. Every candidate will be supplied with a photo bearing attendance Sheet
with his/her Roll number. He/she will be required to sign it and put
his/her Left Hand Thumb impression before the beginning of the Test.
12. Candidates shall not be permitted to leave the Examination Hall until the
expiry of the Test.
13. On completion of the test, they shall remain seated at their desks and
wait until their scripts are collected and accounted for. They must not
type, write or erase after the expiry of the allotted time.
14. Silence must be observed in the Examination Hall. Smoking /chewing
tobacco in the Examination Hall is strictly prohibited.
15. Candidates must abide by further instructions, if any, which may be given
to them by the Supervisor. If any candidate fails to do so or indulges in
disorderly or improper conduct, he/she will render himself/herself liable
to expulsion from the Test or such other penalty as the Commission may
16. Any request for change in time/date/centre/medium of the test will not be
entertained by the Commission under any circumstances.
17. Possession of mobile/cellular phones (whether in use or not) in the
examination hall is strictly prohibited. Failure to do so shall invite
disciplinary action as the Commission may deem fit, including cancellation
of candidature. Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring
these gadgets to the examination venue as there will be no facility for
Download Official Notice
Courtesy : SSC SR