Intelligence Bureau ACIO Exam Papers : 2013
(Maths, Reasoning, English)
1. If increasing 20 by p% gives same result as decreasing 60 by p%, then what is p% of 70?
2. In what ratio should a 20% methyl alcohol solution be mixed with a 50% methyl alcohol solution so that the resultant solution has 40% methyl alcohol in it?
3. The difference between ages of two brothers is a prime number. The sum of their ages is also a prime number. If elder brother is 28 years old, how many values can age of younger brother take?
4.Find the least five digit number, which when divided by 12, 18, 21 and 28, leaves the same remainder.
5. A number when divided by a divisor, leaves a remainder of 24. when twice the original number is divided by same divisor, the remainder is 11. what is the value of divisor?
6. What will be the expression for 567 in binary system?
7. A train covers certain distance between two places at a uniform speed. If the train moved 10 km/hr faster, it would take 2 hours less. And, if the train were slower by 10 km/hr, it would take 3 hours more than the scheduled time. Find the distance covered by the train.
- 300 kms
- 600 kms
- 800 kms
- 1200 kms
7. 6 tasks and 6 persons. task 1 can’t be assigned to either person 1 or 2. task 2 must be assigned to either person 3 or 4. Every person has to be assigned a task. How many ways can the assignment be done?
8. In how many ways can the letters of the word ASSASSINATION be arranged so that all the S are together?
9. In how many ways can 15 people be seated around two round tables with sitting capacities 7 and 8 people.
- 15c8 x 8!
10. In a lottery 10,000 tickets are sold and ten prizes are awarded. What is the probability of not getting a prize if you buy one ticket ?
11. What is the sum of all positive integers lying between 200 and 400 that are multiples of 7?
12. Rajnikanth left his home for office in car. He drove 15 kms straight towards north and then turned east-wards and covered 8 kms He then turned to left and covered 1 km. He again turned left and drove for 20 kms and reached office. How far and in what direction is his office from the home?
- 21 kms west
- 15 kms north east
- 20 kms north west
- 26 kms north west
13. There are five different houses, A to E, in a row. A is to the right of B and E is to the left of C and right, of A. B is to the right of D. Which of the houses is in the middle?
14. A’s mother is sister of B and daughter of C. D is the daughter of B and sister of E. How is C related to E?
- Grandmother or Grandfather
15. Find the missing number in this series: 4, 18, ??, 100, 180, 294
16. Which number should replace the question mark?
17. ACEG : DFHJ:: QSUW
18. 165135 is to peace as 1215225 is to
19. The day before the day before yesterday is three days after Saturday. What day is it today?
20. If the republic day of India in 1980 falls on Saturday. X was born on March 3 1980 and Y is older than X by four days. then Y’s birthday fell on?
- None of these
21. Choose the correct sentence among the following
- The danger will continue its growth
- The danger will continue to grow
- The danger will continue its growing
- The danger will continue growth
22. Complete the following sentence, This is the best book __
- of all others on History
- of any other on History
- of all on History
- of any other in History
23. Choose the correct sentence among the following,
- I have one chance in a thousand of winning tonight
- I have one chance in a thousand for winning tonight
- I have one in a thousand chances to win tonight
- I have one chance in a thousand that I will win tonight
24. Choose the answer that is closest in meaning to the following sentence, Yeuk Yee had her house painted white yesterday
- She had to paint her house white yesterday
- Her house was not blue last week
- They painted her house white for her yesterday
- She painted her house yesterday
25. Choose the idiom from the following options which means “to be modest about one’s achievements”
- to hide one’s light under a bushel
- to take to the bush
- to hide behind the bush
- to beat about the bush
26. Choose the idiom from the options, which means ‘a lot of excitement and discussion about a trivial matter’
- A cyclone in the cup
- A flood in the tea-cup
- A storm in the tea-cup
- A flood of air
27. “What is bred in the bone will come out in the flesh” Choose the meaning that is closest in the meaning to this proverb
- Pedigree racing horse will always win
- Inherited characteristics cannot be concealed
- Good diet in childhood makes for good health in adulthood
- Brain washing can change the personality
28. Docility is to surrender as unrest is to —–
29. Mitigate is to punishment as alleviate is to
30. Choose the pair which represents closest the relationship expressed in the original pair in capital letters: MENDACITY HONESTY,
- Truth Beauty
- Sportsmanship Fortitude
- Courageous Craven
- Turpitude Depravity
31. Choose the set of words that when inserted in the sentence, best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole, Unable to ____ his wholehearted distaste for media events and publicity, the miffed minister continued to make ____ comments throughout his speech
- conceal , effusive
- control ; garbled
- disguise, caustic
- express , vitriolic
32. Write an essay in English language only on any one of the following topics in not more than 400 words. (50 marks)
- A Communal Conflict Scenario
- Causes of Violence in the World
- Divide Between ‘India’ and ‘Bharat’
- Dimensions of Rural Employment