Current Affairs for SSC CGL Exams - 7 OCTOBER 2019
India’s development cooperation based on freedom of choice claims external
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar today said India's
development cooperation is based on freedom of choice and not
conditionalities. He said India's development cooperation with partner
countries is based on equality, mutual respect for sovereignty as well as
freedom of choice, and not on competition, conditionalities or preions.
- Addressing an event to mark 55 years of the Indian Technical and
Economic Cooperation in New Delhi, the Minister said the countries of the
global south are important partners for India.
- He said India represents the aspirations of 6.3 billion people of
the world. Dr Jaishankar added that Indian people's forefathers have
struggled together against colonial bondages.
- The Minister said India's collective bilateral trade stands around
220 billion dollars today. Hailing the ITEC programme, he further stated
that India's development cooperation and support to the cause of
multilateralism flow from the philosophy of interconnectedness and
interdependence which reflects a commitment to 'VasudevaKutumbakam.
Centre launches Ganga AmantranAbhiyan
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat yesterday launched a
unique initiative called 'Ganga Amantran' to connect with the stakeholders
of the river.
- It is a pioneering exploratory open- water rafting and kayaking
expedition on the Ganga river to begin on coming Thursday and will continue
till 11th of next month.
- The expedition will start at Devaprayag and culminate at Ganga
Sagar covering the entire stratch of over 25,000 kilometres of the River.
India receives first tranche of swiss bank account details
- India has received the first tranche of details about financial
accounts of its residents in Swiss banks under a new automatic exchange of
information framework between the two countries.
- It marks a significant milestone in the fight against black money
suspected to be stashed abroad.
- A Federal Tax Administration (FTA) spokesperson said, India
figures among 75 countries with which Switzerland's FTA has exchanged
information on financial accounts within the framework of global standards
RBI governor expresses confidence in govt’s commitment to meet fiscal
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das on Friday
said that the central bank has no reason to doubt the government commitment
to meet the fiscal deficit target this fiscal despite the massive tax
giveaways of Rs 1.45 lakh and falling indirect tax collections.
- The budget has set fiscal deficit target at 3.3 per cent for the
current fiscal but the steeply falling GST collection and the historic cut
in corporate taxes have raised concerns over the possibility of meeting the
target. Many analysts are of the view that the government will miss the
target by a wide margin of 70-80 basis points (bps).
- "The government has made a statement that they will adhere to the
fiscal deficit target. Therefore, we have no reason to doubt the commitment
to maintain the numbers as given in the budget," Das told reporters after
announcing the fourth bi-monthly monetary policy where the central bank
lowered the rate by 25 bps to 5.15 per cent -- the fifth in 2019.
UNSG wants parties to maintain restraint on Syria
- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on all parties
in Syria to exercise maximum restraint, amid Turkey's preparations to start
a military operation in the north of the country.
- The UN spokesman, StephaneDujarric stated this after the United
States began pulling troops back from the area. He said,Mr.Guterres is
greatly concerned, especially at the risk to civilians in any escalation of
- Mr Dujarric said the U.N. chief emphasized that civilians must be
protected, and all parties must guarantee sustained, unimpeded and safe
humanitarian access to civilians in need.
Centre left socialists win elections in Portugal
- In Portugal, the center-left Socialists win Sunday’s general
election with 36.6% of the vote and are preparing to govern for another four
- The main opposition Social Democratic Party came second with
almost 28%. The Socialists, however, are 10 seats short of a majority in the
230-seat parliament. To ensure that its legislation is approved, the
government will need support from other parties.
- A healthy economy, with growth of 2.1 % last year and unemployment
at around 6%, helped the Socialist Party back into the Sao Bento Palace, the
seat of power in Lisbon.
::SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY::
Defence ministry to receive Rafale aircrafts at France
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will meet French President Emmanuel
Macron in Paris today and receive the first of the 36 Rafale aircraft in the
French port city of Bordeaux. He will also perform Shastra Puja on the
occasion of Dussehra and take a sortie in the fighter jet.
- Mr Singh tweeted after his arrival in Paris yesterday that France
is India's important strategic partner and the special relationship goes far
beyond the realm of formal ties. His visit to France is aimed at expanding
the existing strategic partnership between both the countries.
- After his talks with President Macron at the Elysee Palace in the
French capital, Mr Singh will be flown to Merignac, a suburb of the
south-western French town of Bordeaux, where he will participate in the
official handover ceremony for the first Rafale combat jet acquired by the
Indian Air Force.
India’s surendersingh sets world record at world powerlifting championship
- Surender Singh of India created three world records at the ongoing
World Powerlifting Championship in Berlin, Germany. Surender bagged gold
medal in 110 kg category, Classic Raw and the Best Lifter Award in Classic
Raw and Single Ply.
- Three-time World Champion Mukesh Singh went on to add another
feather to his cap by winning yet another gold only to be known as 4-time
- On the first day of the championship yesterday, Indian contingent
bagged a total of 4 gold and 1 silver medal.