Current Affairs for SSC CGL Exams - 5 OCTOBER 2019
VP calls for sustained dialogue for achieving development goals
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu today
underlined the need for India to engage with the international community in
a sustained and fruitful dialogue that would take the country’s development
agenda forward and help in creating a harmonious and prosperous world.
- Addressing the 18th meeting of the Governing Body of Indian
Council of World Affairs (ICWA) at Sapru House in New Delhi today, he said
that country was undergoing rapid transformation today.
- Stating that India was economically vibrant and enjoyed the status
of being a favoured destination for foreign investments, he said, “the
intensive thrust on all round development and the transformative reforms
currently under implementation, have drawn appreciation from observers all
over the world.”
- Shri Naidu said that India’s robust diplomatic outreach and
engagement with world nations has secured it an important place in the
comity of nations. “We must now build on our successes and forge ahead,” he
Cabinet gives approval to the new strategic disinvestment process
- The Cabinet has approved a new process of strategic disinvestment
with a view to expediting privatization of select PSUs.
- Official sources said, the Cabinet approved the new policy under
which the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, DIPAM under
the Ministry of Finance has been made the nodal department for the strategic
- DIPAM and NITI Aayog will now jointly identify PSUs for strategic
disinvestment. The decision has been taken with a view to streamlining and
speeding up the process.
RBI cuts repo rates by 25 bps
- On expected lines, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has today
slashed the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF)
by 25 basis points to 5.15 per cent from 5.40 per cent with immediate
effect. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands reduced to
4.90 per cent, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank
Rate to 5.40 per cent.
- Announcing its fourth bi-monthly monetary policy statement in
Mumbai, RBI has revised the GDP outlook for 2019-20 to 6.1%, from 6.9% in
previous Monetary Policy committee meet. For 2020-21, RBI has revised the
GDP outlook to 7.2%.
- The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) also decided to continue with
an accommodative stance as long as it is necessary to revive growth, while
ensuring that inflation remains within the target.
- The RBI statement said these decisions are in consonance with the
objective of achieving the medium-term target for Consumer Price Index (CPI)
inflation of 4 per cent within a band of /- 2 per cent, while supporting
Centre approves amendments in Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Guidelines and
- In a major decision to give a boost to Electric Vehicles in
country, Union Minister of State for Power and New & Renewable Energy (IC)
and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri RK Singh has approved
amendments in Electric Vehicle Charging Guidelines and Specifications.
- Speaking about the decision, Power Minister Shri RK Singh said
that revised guidelines are more consumer friendly as they incorporate a
number of suggestions received from various stakeholders. “We have tried to
address the concerns of EV owners in new guidelines” he said and expressed
hope that revised guidelines will encourage faster adoption of EVs in India.
- Assuming that most of the charging of EVs would take place at
homes or at offices where the decision of using Fast or Slow chargers would
rest on the consumers, it has been clarified in the guidelines that private
charging at residences/offices shall be permitted and DISCOMs may facilitate
::SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY::
India builts its own bullet resistant jacket under make in India initiative
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
Shri Ram Vilas Paswan today showcased the Bullet Resistant Jackets being
made under the ‘Make in India’ initiative .
- The standard is expected to fulfil the long pending demand of
Indian Armed Forces, Paramilitary Forces and State Police Forces and will
assist them in streamlining their procurement process.
- Addressing the media after showcasing the jackets, Union Minister
Shri Ram Vilas Paswan expressed happiness over the fact that India has now
joinedselected League of Nations such as US, UK & Germany to have its own
standard for Bullet Resistant Jackets. ShriPaswan informed the gathering
that the standard that has been set by BIS is at par with International
- He said that this will also lead to an increase in the employment
generation across the nation.ShriPaswan congratulated the BIS officials for
this feat and said that their efforts and contribution for setting such
standards should be recognised and appreciated.
- As the critical performance requirements and their evaluation
procedures have been clearly brought out in this standard, it will ensure
the availability of quality Bullet Resistant Jackets at economical price.
- Central Armed Police Forces like CRPF, BSF, SSB, CISF, NSG etc.
have already initiated the process of procuring such jackets as per the
Indian Standard set by BIS.
Avinash Sable qualifies for Tokyo Olympics in steeplechase event
- India's Avinash Sable has qualified for Tokyo Olympics in men's
3,000-metre steeplechase event by shattering his own national record at the
World Championships in Doha yesterday.
- Avinash clocked 8 minutes 21.37 seconds to breach the Olympics
qualifying standard of 8 minutes 22 seconds. He also bettered his own
national record of 8 minute and 25.23 seconds which he clocked on Tuesday
during the first round heats.