Current Affairs for SSC CGL Exams - 4 OCTOBER 2019
Government to bring in new national policy for senior citizens
- To improve services and benefits for senior citizens, amendments
to the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 and
a national policy were on the cards, Union Social Justice and Empowerment
Minister ThawarchandGehlot said on Thursday.
- Mr.Gehlot was speaking at the ceremony of the Ministry’s annual
national awards for senior citizens and organisations working for their
- President Ram NathKovind handed out the awards honouring 15
individuals and organisations as part of the Ministry’s celebrations of the
International Day of Older Persons, which was on October 1.
- He said, under the RashtriyaVayoshriYojana, physical aids and
assistive living devices like wheel chairs, hearing aids, spectacles,
support stick set care have been distributed so far.
I & B ministry considers fake news more dangerous than paid news
- Fake news is more dangerous than paid news and there is need for
the government and the media to combat it jointly, Information and
Broadcasting Minister PrakashJavadekar said on Thursday.
- The government will not take any step that may curb media freedom,
the minister said and suggested there should be some kind of regulation on
over-the-top platforms (OTT), as there is for the print and electronic media
as well as films.
- OTT platforms include news portals and also ‘streamers’ such as
Hotstar, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which are accessible over the
Internet or ride on an operator’s network.
- The Press Council of India takes care of the print media, the News
Broadcasters Association (NBA) monitors news channels, the Advertising
Standards Council of India is for advertising while the Central Board of
Film Certification (CBFC) takes care of films, he said.
Government to give top priority to affordable and sustainable energy
- Petroleum Minister DharmendraPradhan has said that securing
affordable and sustainable energy is a top priority for India. Speaking at
the India Economic Summit in New Delhi, he said, the price volatility and
concerns about sustained oil supplies have made consuming countries
vulnerable given the fact that India, along with most South Asian countries,
have a major dependency on crude oil and gas imports.
- The Minister said that it is only natural that the global energy
deliberations pay close attention to the developments in energy sector in
India. He said, this has a lot to do with the emergence of India as
third-largest energy consumer in the world, and the fact that India is
playing a leading role globally by implementing several transformative
initiatives to reduce energy poverty in the country.
- Mr Pradhan said, to transform India into a 5 trillion dollar
economy, it is imperative to increase energy availability to 1.3 billion
people, whose per capita energy consumption is lower than the global
Centre releases Swachh Pani Abhiyan in line with SBA
- The Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public
Distribution Shri Ram Vilas Paswan today made a clarion call for beginning a
‘SwachhPaniAbhiyaan’ or clean water mission in line with Prime Minister
ShriNarendraModi’s ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’.
- ShriPaswanasserted that it is not a matter of consumer rights but
of people’s lives and therefore must be given priority. ShriPaswan stated
that it is Prime Minister NarendraModi’s vision to provide piped Drinking
water to all households by 2024 and for furthering this vision and mission,
he has started this Abhiyaan which has begun from Delhi and will be taken
across the nation.
- The Union Minister chaired a meeting with officials of Bureau of
India Standards (BIS), Delhi Jal Board (DJB), officials from Ministry of Jal
Shakti &Department of Consumer Affairs and FSSAI where it was discussed that
the Standards for Drinking Water which are being set by BIS must be made
mandatory which are currently voluntary in nature and only then can they be
- BIS informed during the meeting that it had collected samples from
11 places from Delhi region and tested them on 42 parameters such as PH
levels, Odour, Metal content, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and all samples
failed to meet the BIS standard on multiple parameters. ShriPaswan said it
is the responsibility of DJB to provide clean drinking water to all
residents of Delhi and people are facing numerous issues due to this.
India – Mauritius jointly inaugurate developmental projects
- Prime Minister NarendraModi and Mauritian Prime Minister
PravindJugnauth today jointly inaugurated two landmark projects in Mauritius
through video conferencing. These are Phase-1 of the Metro Express and a new
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr Modi said, both these projects will
serve the people of Mauritius and they are symbols of India’s strong
commitment to the development of the Island nation.
- Mr Modi said, both India and Mauritius are diverse and vibrant
democracies, committed to working for the prosperity of our peoples, as well
as for peace in the region and the world. He said, today's inauguration of
projects herald a new chapter in the shared history, heritage and
cooperation between India and Mauritius.
- The Prime Minister said Indian Ocean Economy holds great promise
for people of the two countries.
- In his address, Mr Jugnauth said, people of Mauritius will be ever
grateful to India. He said, Mauritius needs the blessings of Mother India
- India is already involved in a number of projects in Mauritius
including Hospitals and Housing projects. In 2016, India provided a Special
Economic Package of 353 million dollars for the execution of five projects
in the Indian ocean country.
::SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY::
India-Mongolian military exercise to begin at Bakloh
- 14th edition of Indo – Mongolian joint military training, Exercise
Nomadic Elephant-XIV, being conducted over a period of 14 days, will
commence from 05 Oct 2019. The exercise will be conducted from 05 Oct 19 to
18 Oct 19 at Bakloh.
- The Mongolian Army is being represented by officers and troops of
the elite 084 Air Borne Special Task Battalion while Indian Army is being
represented by a contingent of a battalion of RAJPUTANA RIFLES.
- Nomadic Elephant-XIV is aimed at training troops in counter
insurgency &counter terrorism operations under United Nations mandate. The
Joint Exercise will enhance defence co-operation and military relations
between the two nations.
- It is an ideal platform for the armies of both the nations to
share their experiences & best practices and gain mutually during the joint
Women’s world boxing championships begin in Russia
- The World Women's Boxing Championship will begin at Ulan Ude in
Russia today. The best female boxers in the world will compete in the 11th
edition of the championships, the most prestigious boxing titles in the
- India will play with a ten-member squad comprising experienced and
young boxers. Six-time champion M C Mary Kom will start as a strong medal
contender for India yet again in 51 kilogram category.