Current Affairs for SSC CGL Exams - 26 JANUARY 2020
President claims Indian election practices has earned immense pride amongst
- President Ram Nath Kovind has said that the election practices in India
have earned an immense pride in the global community. He said, the
democratic fabric ensures and strengthens everyone's participation in the
- Addressing a function in New Delhi on the 10th National Voter's Day the
President applauded Election Commission's efforts in bringing electoral
literacy among public aiming at strengthening democracy.
- Mr Kovind observed that a section of people is still unaware of the
adult franchise while people in the West got the rights to vote after great
- On the occasion, Mr Kovind conferred 20 National Awards for the Best
Electoral Practices on District and State-level Officers for their
outstanding performance in the conduct of elections in different spheres.
- These include IT initiatives, Security Management, Election Management
and contribution in the field of voter awareness and outreach. Union
Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora
were also present on the occasion.
Health ministry confirms zero detection of corona virus in the country
- Health Ministry has said that more than 20 thousand passengers from 96
flights have been screened so far for Novel Coronavirus symptoms. No case of
the infection has been detected in the country so far. However, three
persons have been put under observation.
- The Ministry said that travel advisory has been extended to 12 more
airports in addition to the current seven. National Institute of Virology,
Pune is fully geared up to test samples of Coronavirus.
- It said, ten other laboratories under the Indian Council of Medical
Research’s Viral Research and Diagnostics Laboratories network are also
equipped to test such samples, if a need arises.
- The advisory suggested travellers to follow simple public health
measures at all times. They include observing good personal hygiene,
practice frequent handwashing with soap, follow respiratory etiquettes. It
advised to avoid close contact with people who are unwell or showing
symptoms of illness such as cough, runny nose.
India faces tax shortfall in nearly two decades
- India's corporate and income tax collection for the current year is
likely to fall for the first time in at least two decades, over half a dozen
senior tax officials told Reuters, amid a sharp fall in economic growth and
cut in corporate tax rates.
- The tax department had managed to collect only 7.3 trillion rupees as of
Jan. 23, more than 5.5% below the amount collected by the same point last
year, said a senior tax official.
- After collecting taxes from companies in advance for the first three
quarters, officials typically garner about 30-35% of annual direct taxes in
the final three months, data from the past three years shows.
- Direct taxes typically account for about 80% of the government's
projections for annual revenue, and the shortfall may leave the government
needing to boost borrowing to meet expenditure commitments.
- The tax officials also say that a surprise cut in headline corporate tax
rate last year aimed at wooing manufacturers and boosting investment in
Asia's third-biggest economy is another key reason behind the sluggish tax
India-Brazil expands cooperation with eleven agreements signed
- India and Brazil exchanged eleven agreements following talks between
Prime Minister NarendraModi and Brazil President JairBolsonaro in New Delhi
- The agreements relate to several key areas including health, bio-energy
cooperation, cultural exchange, geology and mineral resources.
- Delivering his statement after the talks, Mr.Modi said this visit
signifies growing ties between the two countries. He said, it is a matter of
pride that President Bolsonaro is the chief guest of the Republic Day parade
this year. The Prime Minister added that India and Brazil's strategic
partnership is based on shared ideals.
- He said, both nations work in tandem in several international fora and
are partners in each other's developmental journey. He said, the focus is
being made to increase defence industrial cooperation.
- He said,that there is high potential for growth in bilateral trade, and
as developing countries, India and Brazil share similar views on
multi-lateral issues including terrorism.
::SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY::
Department of Science & technology holds international summit on STEM
- On January 25, 2020, the Department of Biotechnology held an
International Summit on Women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics)on the following theme Theme: Visualizing the Future: New
Skylines The summit aimed to increase the participation of women in STEM
- The summit show cased the success of several women in the field of STEM.
The summit also hosted different sessions on empowering women through
networking, leadership building, and interactive exercises with scientists.
- The summit served as a platform for the students to interact with
leaders in the field. This will help them widely in developing ideas and
frame a future plan in their career.
- The National Science Foundation predicts that around 80% of the jobs
created in the next 10 years will be STEM oriented. However, India lags
studentsin the field of problem-solving, innovation and creativity.
- Also, women are under represented in the field. According to UNESCO,
only 29% of STEM R&D are contributed by women. The hindrance in India’s
growth in STEM is that the contribution of education system towards STEM is
Government plans to recruit 1500 vacancies of coaches soon
- Sports Minister KirenRijiju today said the government has decided to
recruit around 1500 coaches to fill up existing vacancies and ensured full
support to the country's athletes.
- On the sidelines of a programme celebrating 'National Girl Child Day' in
New Delhi, Mr Rijiju said that government is not going to wait for 8 years
period and will promote the assistant coaches to senior-level after few
years on the basis of their service record so that there is no dearth of
- He said reputed foreign coaches will be hired irrespective of their
remuneration adding that there are some very good Indian trainers and
coaches who will also be hired.
- He said there will be no shortage of funds for the training of the
Indian athletes. Mr Rijiju also said that his Ministry is trying to ensure
that athletes get the required diet at all training centers.