Model Questions for SSC CGL TIER-2 English Set - 8
Directions: Which of the phrases (a), (b), (c) and (d) given below
each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold type to make the
sentence grammatically correct?
1. Many employees are hesitate to volunteer for assignments in a foreign
country because of language and cultural issues.
(a) hesitated to volunteer
(b) hesitant to volunteer
(c) hesitating volunteer
(d) hesitatingly volunteer
2. Salaries in state owned enterprises today have to be in line on prevailing
market rates in order to reduce turnover.
(a) been on line with
(b) to be aligned on
(c) been in line for
(d) to be in line with
3. As a member of the Cabinet, Alyar had the opportunity to observe debates and
see which they were resolved.
(a) about they being resolved
(b) that it was resolved
(c) to its resolution
(d) how they were resolved
4. The Board has inability to provide any proper strategy to out do the
(a) not being able to provide
(b) has been unable to provide
(c) cannot provide for
(d) is being unable to provide
5. Did the court not intervened the matter
many students would have been denied
(a) Because the court intervened in
(b) Until the court had intervened
(c) Had the court not intervened in
(d) If the court intervened between
6. Budget hotels are being set up across the country to provide travellers
with accommodation at reasonable rates.
(a) are to be set in
(b) will be set up
(c) have been setting up around
(d) were set up through
7. Directly the meeting commenced then
the Board called for the Chairman’s resignation.
(a) No sooner had the meeting commenced than
(b) As soon as the meeting commenced when
(c) Hardly did the meeting commence
(d) Soon after the .meeting commences that
8. The Director said that he did not want to see neither of the student who had
failed and ordered them to leave.
(a) none of the students
(b) one of the student
(c) each of the student
(d) any of the student
9. He was determined in completing the project despite opposition from the
(a) on completing
(b) to complete
(c) for completion
(d) No correction required.
10. In his speech he failed to emphasize the only great reason why Government programmes have not benefited the poor.
(a) greatest reason why
(b) only greatest reason
(c) only greatest reason for
(d) No correction required
1. (b) 2. (d) 3. (d) 4. (c) 5. (c) 6. (d)
7. (a) 8. (d) 9. (b) 10. (d)