Model Questions for SSC CGL TIER-1 (English) Set - 20
Directions: In each of the following sentences there are two blank
spaces. Below each five pairs of words have been denoted by numbers (a), (b), (c),and
(d). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks in the sentence
in the same sequence to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
1. The company has _____ special training to employees on _____ to trade
(a) imparted, risks
(b) offered, course
(c) announced, benefits
(d) sanction, skills
2. We are proud to say that today ___ 26 per cent of our total accounts
are ___ by women and senior citizens.
(a) approximate, held
(b) nearly, authorised
(c) above, open
(d) over, maintain
3. On account of the ___ in sales the software firm has achieved an eight
per cent ___ in net profit.
(a) increase, rise
(b) surge, fall
(c) decline, slope
(d) hike, loss
4. ___ to your error the ___ consignment has been delayed by a week.
(a) According, important
(b) Duly, urgent
(c) Added, crucial
(d) Owing, entire
5. Mr. Srinivasan is ___ to become Chairman of the group ____ the
retirement of his father.
(a) voted, subsequent
(b) set, following
(c) selected, despite
(d) approved, because
Directions: In each question below a sentence with four words printed
in bold type is given. These are numbered as (a), (b), (c) and (d). One of these
four words printed in bold may be either wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the
context of the sentence.
6. With this unique (a)/initiative (b)/ the company hopes to sustain (c)/
its current (d)/ growth rate.
7. There is no guarantee (a)/ that if this model is adopted (b)/ the
entire (c)/ All correct. (d)
8. In responds (a)/ to the advertisement a sizeable (b)/ number of
candidates have submitted (c)/ their applications. (d)
9. In our opinion the existing (a)/ assessment (b)/ system required
immediate (c)/ revision. (d)
10. The organization preferred (a)/ to hire locale (b)/ population as they
understood the language (c)/ and customer preferences. (d)/ All correct. (5)
1. (a) 2. (c) 3. (a) 4. (d) 5. (b) 6. (d)
7. (5) 8. (a) 9. (a) 10. (b)