SSC CGL (Pre.) Previous Year Solved Paper - 2013
Subject: General Awareness
1. Social accounting system in India classified into is
(a) enterprise, households and government
(b) assets, liabilities and debt position
(c) public sector, private sector and joint sector
(d) income, product and expenditure
2. Forced savings refer to
(a) taxes on individual income and wealth
(b) compulsory deposits imposed on income tax payers
(c) provident fund contribution of private sector employees
(d) reduction of consumption consequent to a rise in prices
3. The demand for labour is called
(a) direct demand
(b) derived demand
(c) factory demand
(d) market demand
4. Which of the following is not an investment expenditure in goods and services?
(a) Purchase of a house
(b) Purchase of a machinery
(c) An increase in business inventories
(d) Expansion of the main plant of a company
5. Which one of the following represents the savings of the private corporate sector?
(a) Total profits of a company
(b) Undistributed profits
(c) Excess of income over expenditure
(d) Dividends paid to share holders
6. Who presides over the joint session of Indian Parliament?
(a) President of India
(b) Chairperson of Rajya Sabha
(c) Senior most Member of Parliament
(d) Speaker of Lok Sabha
7. Division of powers and independent Judiciary are the two important features of
(a) unitary form of Government
(b) democratic form of Government
(c) federal form of Government
(d) socialist form of Government
8. Which article of the Indian Constitution did Dr BR Ambedkar term as the ‘Heart and Soul of the Indian Constitution’?
(a) Article 19
(b) Article 356
(c) Article 32
(d) Article 14
9. Who was the first to use the term ‘State’?
10. Under which article of the Constitution of India, can the fundamental rights of the members of the Armed Forces be specifically restricted?
(a) Article 19
(b) Article 21
(c) Article 25
(d) Article 33
11. Pulakesin II was the greatest ruler of the
(a) Chalukyas of Badami
(b) Chalukyas of Kalyani
(c) Pallavas of Kanchi
(d) Cholas of Tamil Nadu
12. The Uttaramerur inscription provides information on the administration of the
13. Pitts India Act of 1784 was a/an
(a) regulating act
(d) white paper
14. Which one of the following statements is not true in respect of AO Hume?
(a) He was a member of the Indian Civil Service
(b) He founded the Indian National Congress
(c) He presided over the Congress Annual Sessions twice
(d) He was an ornithologist
15. Which of the following movements saw the biggest peasant guerilla war on the eve of independence?
(a) Tebhaga Movement
(b) Punnapra Vayalar Movement
(c) Telangana Movement
(d) Noakhali Movement
16. Maps on large scale, representing both natural and man-made features are called
(a) Topographic maps
(b) Thematic maps
(c) Atlas maps
(d) Wall maps
17. Which river in India flows in a rift-valley?
18. A narrow strip of land that connects two larger land masses is called
19. Tiny marine animals which constitute limestone skeletons are called
(b) coral reefs
20. Apatanis are the major tribal group of
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
21. Which of the following plant pigments absorbs in red and far-red region of light?
22. The process through which excess of light energy is dissipated in photosynthesis is known as
23. AIDS virus destroys
24. Teeth and Bones acquire strength and rigidity from
25. The type of tail found in Shark is
26. The Sigmoid Colon is part of
(a) anal canal
(b) large Intestine
(d) small Intestine
27. A good conductor while carrying current is
(a) negatively charged
(b) positively charged
(c) electrically neutral
(d) alternately charged positive and negative
28. The angle between the magnetic meridian and the geographical meridian at a place is
29. The device used for measuring the wavelength of X-rays is
(b) bragg spectrometer
(c) mass spectrometer
(d) GM counter
30. Alpha particle is the nucleus of an atom of
31. Who is the founder of ‘Facebook’ which is currently the No.1 social networking website in India?
(a) Martin Cooper
(b) Orkut Buyukkokten
(c) Mark Zuckerberg
(d) Bill Gates
32. In programming, repeating some statements is usually called
(c) control structure
33. Silicon is a polymer of
(a) Silicon tetrachloride
(b) Dialkyl dichloro silane
(d) Tetraalkyl silane
34. Which is a natural colloid?
(d) Sodium chloride
35. Which one of the following does not contain silver?
(a) Lunar caustic
(b) German silver
(c) Horn silver
(d) Ruby silver
36. The presence of cobalt in vitamin B12 was established for the first time by
(b) borax-Bead test
(c) sodium nitroprusside test
(d) hydrolysis test
37. Which bacterial strain developed from natural isolates by genetic manipulations can be used for treating oil spills?
38. Coating of solid waste with impervious material is known as
(a) Chemical fixation
39. Ultraviolet rays can used in water treatment as
40. Thiamidine dimer formation in DNA is caused by
(b) b and g -rays
41. Winner of the Australian Open Men’s Singles Title in 2013 is
(a) Andy Murray
(b) Rogaer Federer
(c) Novak Djokovic
(d) David Ferrer
42. Who among the following Presidents of MCC was a non-professional cricketer?
(a) Colin Cowdrey
(b) Peter May
(c) Christopher Martin Jenkin
(d) Ted Dexter
43. Who won the Nobel Prize for Peace in 2012?
(a) UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(b) International Atomic Energy Agency
(c) Liu Xiaobo
(d) European Union
44. Who won the Jnanpith Award for 2011?
(a) Sitakant Mahapatra
(b) Sachidananda Routray
(c) Pratibha Ray
(d) Gopinath Mohanty
45. Who is the author of the book “No Full Stops in India”?
(a) Ved Mehta
(b) Nirad C Choudhuri
(c) Mark Tully
(d) RK Narayan
46. Which one of the following pairs is wrongly matched?
(a) Red Square - Moscow
(b) Tiananmen Square – Beijing
(c) Tahrir Square - Abu Dhabi
(d) Trafalgar Square - London
47. The term of a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council is
(a) 6 months
(b) 1 yr
(c) 2 yr
(d) 3 yr
48. Who is the Chairman of the 20th Law Commission?
(a) Justice JS Verma
(b) Justice KG Balakrishnan
(c) Justice DK Jain
(d) Justice Usha Mehra
49. Julia Gillard is the Prime Minister of
(d) New Zealand
50. Which is the first state in India to pass the Food Security Law?