SSC CGL (Tier - 1, 1st shift) Previous Year Solved Paper - 2011
Subject: General Awareness
1. Correction of Shivaji took place in
(a) 1627 A.D.
(b) 1674 A.D.
(c) 1680 A.D.
(d) 1670 A.D.
2. The System of Dyarchy was introduced in India in
3. The Editor of ‘Young India’ and ‘Harijan’ was
(c) Mahatma Gandhi
(d) Subash Chandra Bose
4. Who of the following attended all the Three Round Table Conferences?
(a) B.R. Ambedkar
(b) M.M. Malavia
(c) Vallabhbhai Patel
5. Which is the largest living bird on Earth?
(d) Siberian Crane
6. Rihand Dam Project provides irrigation to
(a) Gujarat and Maharashtra
(b) Orissa and West Bengal
(c) Uttar Pradesh and Bihar
(d) Kerala and Karnataka
7. The Headquarters of MCF (Master Control Facility) – the nerve centre of all entire space craft operations-in India is at
(a) Hyderabad – Andhra Pradesh
(b) Thumba – Kerala
(c) Sriharikota – Andhra Pradesh
(d) Hassan – Karnataka
8. Which is the longest irrigation canal in India?
(a) Sirhind Canal
(b) Yamuna Canal
(c) Indira Gandhi Canal
(d) East Kosi Canal
9. Which one of the following minerals is found in Monazite sand?
10. In coriander, the useful parts are
(a) roots & leaves
(b) leaves & flower
(c) leaves & dried fruits
(d) flowers & dried fruits
11. Which plant is called ‘Herbal Indian Doctor’?
12. The pH of human blood is
13. Which amongst the following is largest endocrine gland in the body?
14. Which amongst the following is the largest mammal?
15. Which part becomes modified as the tusk of elephant?
(c) Second incisor
16. Optical fibres are based on the phenomenon of
(d) Total Internal Reflection
17. Now-a-days yellow lamps are frequently used as street lights. Which of the following gases is used in these lamps?
18. ‘Mirage’ is an example of
(a) refraction of light only
(b) total internal, reflection of light only
(c) refraction and total internal reflection of light
(d) dispersion of light only
19. The phenomenon of light associated with the appearance of blue colour of the sky is
20. In which of the following areas, a spreadsheet software is more useful?
(d) Message sending
21. A Group Ware is a
22. Lens is made up of
(a) Pyrex glass
(b) Flint glass
(c) Ordinary glass
(d) Cobalt glass
23. The element which is used for vulcanizing rubber
24. Which of the following is responsible for the extra strength of pyrex glass?
(a) Potassium Carbonate
(b) Lead Oxide
(d) Ferric Oxide
25. The noble gas used for the treatment of cancer is
26. Vasundhara Summit was held in
27. ‘Loktak’ is a
(d) Mountain Range
28. Which city receives the highest cosmic radiation amongst the following?
29. The common tree species in Nilgiri hills is
30. Which of the following statements on Railways Budget for 2011-12 is correct?
(a) There would be 10% increase in fares for long distance train travel both by air conditioned and non-air-conditioned classes.
(b) There would be 15% increase in freight rates on all goods other than food grains.
(c) There would be 15% increase in passenger fares for all classes for long distance travel as well as in freights.
(d) There would be no increase in fares for both suburban and long distance train travel
31. The nuclear reactors which were damaged heavily die to a strong Earthquake-cum-Tsunami that his Japan on March 11, 2011 causing radiation leakage were at
(d) None of the above
32. The maximum limit on poll expenditure for Assembly Constituencies has been raised in February, 2011 to
(a) 16 lakhs
(b) 18 lakhs
(c) 20 lakhs
(d) 25 lakhs
33. First Indian Prime Minister to visit Siachen has been
(a) Rajiv Gandhi
(b) Inder Kumar Gujaral
(c) Man Mohan Singh
(d) None of the above
34. Which of the following books has been written by Kishwar Desai?
(a) The Red Devil
(b) Witness the Night
(c) Tonight This Savage Rite
(d) Earth and Ashes
35. Which of the following folk/tribal dances is associated with Karnataka?
36. Who is the following received Sangeet Natak Akademi’s Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva puraskar for 2009 in theatre?
(a) Omkar Shrikant Dadarkar
(b) Ragni Chander Sarkar
(c) Abanti Chakravoty & Sukracharya Rabha
(d) K. Nellai Manikandan
37. Which of the following countries did not win any of the “FIFA World Cup” in 2002, 2006 & 2010?
(d) South Africa
38. Who invented vaccination for ‘Small Pox’?
(a) Sir Freedrick Grant Banting
(b) Sir Alexander Fleming
(c) Edward Jenner
(d) Louis Pasteur
39. Who was the first Indian to become member of British Parliament?
(a) Bankim Chander Chatterjee
(b) W.C. Bannerjee,
(c) Dadabhai Naroji
(d) None of the above
40. The purchase of shares and bonds of Indian companies by Foreign Institutional Investors is called
(a) Foreign Direct Investment
(b) Portfolio Investment
(c) NRI Investment
(d) Foreign Indirect Investment
41. BT seed is associated with
(d) Oil seeds
42. The Headquarters of International Atomic Energy Agency is in
43. In the Budget Estimates for 2011-12, and allocation of Rs. 400 crore has been made to bring in a green revolution in the East in the rice-based cropping system of
(a) Assam & West Bengal only
(b) Assam, West Bengal, Orissa & Jharkhand only
(c) Assam, West-Bengal, Orissa, Bihar, Jharkhand only
(d) Assam, West-Bengal, Orissa, Bihar, Jharkhand, Eastern Uttar Pradesh & Chhatisgarh
44. In the Budget for 2011-12 presented by the Finance Minister on 28-2-2011, the income-tax exemption limit for senior citizen (60 years to less than 80 years) has been increased to
(a) Rs. 2.50 lakh
(b) Rs. 2.60 lakh
(c) Rs. 2.80 lakh
(d) Rs. 3.00 lakh
45. If the Anglo-Indian community does not get adequate representation in the Lok Sabha, two members of the community can be nominated by the
(a) Prime Minister
(d) President in consultation with the Parliament
46. For the election of President of India, a citizen should have completed the age of
(a) 25 years
(b) 30 years
(c) 35 years
(d) 18 years
47. Who said, “A good citizen makes a good State and bad citizen makes a bad State.”?
48. A member of Parliament will lose his membership of Parliament if he is continuously absent from Sessions for
(a) 45 days
(b) 60 days
(c) 90 days
(d) 365 days
49. In India, the Residuary Powers are vested with
(a) Union Government
(b) State Government
(c) Both the Union Government and the State Government
(d) Local Government
50. Mention the place where Buddha attained enlightenment.
(b) Bodh Gaya