SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam:
Paper – II (Held On 16.09.2012)
English Language & Comprehension
51. Youths are the assets and hope of a nation.
P. In making India a great
Q. Steeped in old cultural values R.
They can play a vital role
R. They can play a vital role
S. democratic, progressive and prosperous country
6. But equipped with modern scientific
52. Porcelain became popular at the beginning of the 19th century.
P. In a kin atmore than 2372 degree Fahrenheit.
Q. Refers to both China and Bisque dolls.
R. porcelain is made by firing special clays
S. porcelain is used generically, to
6. Only a few types of clays can withstand such high temperatures.
53. Human behaviors are regulated by their
P. Aperson’s working pattern as well as living style.
Q. Between these selves has an adverse effect upon
R. Work done is the self portrait
S. Real self and and social self Conflict
6. Of the person who did it
54. India is democratic country
P. At the hands of our representatives
Q. But frequent elections
R. Who play political games
S. Makes it a mockery
6. At the cost of the nation.
55. Plato’s ‘Repubhc’ has exercised tremendous influence
P. He states that statesmen should
Q. On human thought and intelligence.
R. Integrity because he felt that, only such men
S. Be men of supreme intelligence and impeccable
6. Could enlighten the darker side of human nature into a positive.
56. India has a vibrant space science program
P. The Indian space science programmer has been working formulating a
Q. formulating an industrial participation policy to
R. Covering astronomy. Astrophysics and space science
S. With cooperative Indian Industries and has been
6. Aid the growth of space industry in India.
57. Shaw read the first few lines of the
P. And was at once convinced
Q. He sent a few copies of the book to well know
R. That he was reading good poetry, so
6. Critics, and awaited their reaction.
58. New Industries
P. Interests, usually
Q. Supported by foreign
R. To their employees at all
S. Offer better salaries
6. Levels of responsibility
59. Both plants and animals
P. Changes in from, structure growth habits
Q. In becoming adapted to different climatic
R. Of many sorts show remarkable
S. And even mode of reproduction
6. Environment, types of food supply or mode of living
60. As heart disease continues P. Increasingly interested in identifying
Q. To be the number one killer
R. Researchers have become
S. In the United States,
6. Potential risk factors that trigger heart attack.
61. Those clouds promise rain;
P. Before we get caught in a flash flood
Q. Or else we will never be able to find our way home
R. We should hurry
S. And would be stuck here
6. for a considerable period of time.
62. Ronan steered the jeep
P. The path to which muddy and bumpy,
Q. Making it a difficult drive, and
R. Down the muddy road to the camp site.
S. He discovered after a few miles
6. That it was the wrong road.
63. If he changes his mind
P. And he will not commit
Q. Joe has learned his lesson,
R. The same mistake again.
S. We shall know for sure that.
6. but only time will tell.
64. A number of linguists
P. Of languages spoken by
Q. The world’s five billion people
R. Contend that all of the thousands
S. Can be traced back to common root language
6. And have a common origin.
Directions: In questions no. 65 to 76, out of the four alternatives,
choose the one which can be substituted for the given / sentence,
65. One who is indifferent to pleasure of pain
66. Animals that feed on plants
67. Short remaining end of a cigarette.
68. A person concerned with practical results and values
69. A person who can use both bands equally
70. The firing of a Number of guns together as a salute of otherwise
(D) Gun- salute
71. Study of the problems of legal punishment and prison management
72. Bring about an easy and painless death for someone suffering from an
73. One who can not be defeated?
74. One who is between 80 and 89 years old?
75. One who hates makes mankind?
76. A person who makes love without serious intention
Directions: In questions no. 77 to 96, a sentence has been given in Active
/ Passive Voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which
best expresses the same sentence in passive \ Active Voice and mark your answer
in the Answer sheet.
77. The author wrote the book in one month.
(A) The book in the author in one month
(B) The book had wrote in one month
(C) The book had been written in one month.
(D) The book was written in one month
78. Somebody built this house in 2001.
(A) This house was built by somebody
(B) This house was built in 2001.
(C) This house had been built in 2001
(D) This house was built in 2001.
79. Some body should have cleaned the windows yesterday
(A) The wind were not cleaned yesterday
(B) The windows had to be cleaned yesterday
(C) The windows should have been cleaned yesterday
(D) The windows should be cleaned yesterday
80. Have you over been bitten by a dog?
(A) Has a dog ever bitten you?
(B) Had a dog ever bitten you?
(C) Did a dog ever bite you?
(D) Has a dog ever you?
81. Can we solve this problem?
(A) Can this problem solved?
(B) Can this problem not be solved?
(C) Can this problem be solved?
(D) Can this problem be solved by us?
82. They had to scrap all the rules to accommodate a particular person.
(A) All the rules had to be scrapped accommodate a particular person.
(B) All the rules as has been scrapped to accommodate a particular person.
(C) All the rules had to be scrapped by them to accommodate a particular person.
(D) All the rules were scrapped accommodate a particular person.
83. The parents’ love should not be taken for granted.
(A) One can not take parents love for granted.
(B) Can one take parents’ love for granted?
(C) I should not take parent’s love for granted
(D) One should not take parents’ love for granted.
84. My sister played a major role in shaping my car
(A) A major role is played by my sister in shaping my career,
(B) A major role was played by my sister in shaping my career
(C) Amajor role has been played by my sister, in shaping my career.
(D) Amajor role had been played by my sister is shaping my career.
85. Did anyone invite Rachna to the party?
(A) Is Rachna invited to the party?
(B) Had Rachna been invited to the party by anyone?
(C) Was Rachna invited to the party?
(D) Was Rachna going to be invited to the party?
86. The poet read his long poem himself
(A) The long poem was read by the poet himself
(B) The long poem read by the poet himself
(C) The long poem had been read by the poet himself
(D) The long poem is read by the poet himself
87. People should send their complaints to the head office.
(A) The complaints ought to be sent to the head office
(B) The complaints were sent to the head office by the people
(C) The complaints should be sent to the head office.
(D) The complaints had to be sent to the head office.
88. An electrical fault could have caused the fire
(A) The fire had could caused by an electrical fault
(B) The fire could have been caused by an electrical fault
(C) The fire was caused by an electrical by an electrical
(D) The fire could be caused by an electrical fault
89. Raksha Bandhan is celebrated all over the country.
(A) All over the country people are celebrating Raksha Bandhan
(B) People celebrating Raksha Bandhan all over the country
(C) People were celebrated Raksha Bandhan all over the country
(D) All over the country people celebrate Raksha Bandhan.
90. Who built the Mahal?
(A) By whom the Taj Mahal built?
(B) By whom had, the Taj Mahal been built?
(D) By whom the Taj Mahal was built?
91. Five explosions rocked Pune today.
(A) Pune has been rocked by five explosions
(B) Pune had been rocked by five explosions
(C) Pune is rocked by five explosions today.
(D) une was rocked by five explosions
92. Did every body appreciate the anticorruption movement?
(A) Is the anti- corruption movement appreciated by every body?
(B) Was the anti corruption movement been appreciated by every body?
(C) Is the anti corruption movement appreciated by every body?
(D) Has the anti corruption movement been appreciated by every body?
93. Do men gather grapes of thorns of figs of thistles?
(A) Are grapes of thorns or figs of thistles being gathered by men?
(B) Are grapes of thorns of figs of thistles gathered by Men?
(C) Were grapes of thorn or figs of thistles be gathered by men?
(D) Are gathered by men?
94. I have always endorsed your decisions.
(A) Your decisions have always been endorsed by me.
(B) Your decision has always been endorsed by me.
(C) Your decisions are always endorsed by me.
(D) Your decisions are always endorsed by me.
95. Have you ever felt the responsibility of looking after your parents?
(A) Was the responsibility of looking after your parents
(B) Is the responsibility of looking after your parents being felt by you?
(C) Has the responsibility of looking after your parents felt by you?
(D) Has the responsibility of looking after your parents felt by you?
96. Did all the candidates complete the paper on time?
(A) Had the paper been completed by all the candidates on time?
(B) Was the paper completed by all the candidates on time?
(C) Was the paper completed by all the candidates on time?
(D) Could the paper be completed by all the candidates on time
Directions: In questions no. 97 to 118 a part of the sentence is
underlined below are given alternatives to the underling part at (A) (B) and (C)
which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative In case no
Improvement is needed, your answer is (D).
97. After several days’ tour we became convinced that the climate of this
place was like Srinagar in winter.
(A) Was like that of Srinagar in winter
(B) Was like Stringer’s in winter
(C) In winter was like Srinagar
(D) No Improvement
98. Our team has not yet arrived I wonder When it will arrive.
(A) It arrives
(B) It can arrive
(C) It will be arriving
(D) No improvement
99. I shall stand near you in weal and wore
(A) Stand with
(B) Stand close to
(C) Stand by
(D) No improvement
100. In international and national affairs, it is tolerance and not love
that is of supreme importance.
(D) No improvement