Model Questions for Scientific Assistant (IMD) Exam (Paper-1)
General Science - Set 46
Write and Discuss Your Answer with Q.No in Comment Box at
the Bottom of Post.
1. The passengers in a boat are not allowed to stand because :
(a) this will raise the centre of gravity and the boat be rocked
(b) of surface tension effects
(c) this will lower centre of gravity and the boat will rocked
(d) the effective weight of system increases
2. What happens if water is cooled from 8°C to 0°C?
(a) its volume increases upto 4°C and then decreases
(b) its volume increases uniformly, becoming maximum at 0°C
(c) its volume decreases uniformly, becoming minimum at 0°C
(d) its volume decreases upto 4°C and then increases
3. Fish can survive inside a frozen lake because:
(a) Fish move to the top of the take where the water is at 4°C and hence
(b) Fish move to the bottom of the lake where the water is at 4°C and hence
(c) Fish are cold-blooded animals
(d) Fish can breathe when embedded in ice
4. When a ship floats on water
(a) the mass of water displaced is less than the ship
(b) the mass of water displaced is more than the mass of the ship
(c) the mass of the water displaced is equal to the mass of the ship
(d) it displaces no water
5. The Kelvin, the S.I. unit of thermodynamic temperature is defined as :
(a) the fraction 1/373.15 of the thermodynamic temperature of the steam-point
(b) the fraction 1/273.16 of the thermodynamic temperature of the triple-point
(c) one hundredth of the temperature difference between the triple-point of
water and the steampoint
(d) one hundredth of the temperature-difference between the ice-point and the
6. In high mountain regions bleeding through nose occurs because
(a) the blood pressure fluctuates and causes the blood vessels to break
(b) the pressure of the blood capillaries is higher than the outside pressure
(c) the pressure at high altitudes is greater than that of the plains
(d) the blood pressure increases at high altitudes
7. One litre of cool air weighs heavier then one litre of hot air because of
(a) lower energy of molecules at high temperature
(b) increased number of collisions between the molecules
(c) greater energy of molecules at high temperature
(d) increased number of molecules at high temperature
8. Why does a liquid drop assuming a spherical shape ?
(a) because intermolecular force are weak in liquids.
(b) because a sphere has the least surface for a given volume.
(c) because a sphere has the largest surface for a given volume surface tension.
(d) because intermolecular forces are strong in liquids.
9. In which of the following example of motion, the body can he considered
approximately, a point object :
(a) a railway carriage moving without jerks between two stations.
(b) a monkey sitting on top of a man cycling smoothly on a larger circular path.
(c) a spinning cricket hall that turns sharply on hitting the ground.
(d) both (a) and (b)
10. While running over a horizontal level road, the man holds the umbrella
in the vertical direction. If he stops, then in order to protect himself from
the rain he should hold it :
(a) still vertically
(b) inclined to the back
(c) at an angle of 45
(d) inclined to the front
1. (a) 2. (d) 3. (b) 4. (c) 5. (b) 6. (b) 7. (a) 8. (b) 9. (d) 10. (b)