(Previous Year Papers) SSC CGL: (Tier-II) English Language
Exam "Held on: 16-09-2012"
Directions: In questions no. 1 to 5, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word (S).Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the Four and indicate it by blackening the appropriate oval () in the Answer Sheet.
1. After the treatment, he was relived the pain
2. Several items have been left____________ from
3. I have not paid my school fees_________
4. She has seen this movie twice.
5. My father has _________ returned home from work.
Directions: In questions no. 6 to 8, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word and mark it in the Answer Sheet.
Directions: In Questions no. 9 to 11, choose the word opposite in meaning to the given word and mark it in the Answer Sheet.
(B) Serious reticent
Directions: In questions no. 12 to 14, there are four different words out of which one is wrongly spelt find the wrongly spelt word and indicate it by blackening the appropriate oval () in the Answer
Directions: In questions no. 15 to 24, four alternatives are given for the given idiom / phrase of as underlined in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the Idiom/ phrase and mark it the Answer Sheet.
15. The mother- in law expected her daughter-in law to be always at her beck and call.
(A) Ready to withdraw
(B) Ready to serve
(C) Ready to call
(D) Ready to play
16. When I opened the door, my books were lying at sixes and sevens.
(A) In neat order
(B) In disorder
(C) Under the table
(D) In piles on the floor
17. His behavior indicates that he has blue blood
(A) feels depressed often
(B) Suffers anemia
(C) Belongs to a royal family
(D) Has diseased blood
18. I am trying to figure out the hidden agenda in yesterday’s meeting.
(A) Wicked motive
(B) False Idea
(C) Indirect tax
(D) Secret reason
19 . He always seems to get the lion’s share of the projects
(A) An insignificant part
(B) The minimum share
(C) An equal share
(D) A major share
20. Oliver Twist was between black and blue and blue when he asked for more food
(B) Whipped badly
(C) Thrashed severely
(D) Given a scolding
21. To pull wool over someone’s eyes
(A) To investigate
(B) To reprimand someone
(C) To deceive another
(D) To keep a secret
22. I find myself in a position where I have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.
(A) Near the horrid sea
(B) In a state of confusion
(C) Out of one’s proper place
(D) Between two equal evils
23. Even a small toy can become an apple of discord between two Children.
(A) Cause of happiness
(B) Cause of meeting
(C) Tasty like an apple
(D) Cause of dispute
24. Do you think this examination is a hard nut to crack?
(A) Similar to planting a nut tree
(B) A difficult job
(C) A Boring job
(D) Similar to to cracking a nut