SSC CGL (Tier - 1) Previous Year Solved Exam Paper - 2011, "Reasoning" (2nd shift)
1. Find out the pair of numbers that does not belong to the group for lack of common property.
2. In the following question, number of letters is skipped in between by a particular rule. Which of the following observes the rule?
3. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
4. Arrange the following words as per order in the dictionary:
5. Which one set of letters when sequentially placed at the gaps in the given letters series shall complete it?
__ab__b__aba__ __ abab
(a) a bb aa
(b) bb aa b
(c) ab aa b
(d) a aa ba
Directions (6-9): In each of the following questions, a series is given, with one term missing. Choose
6. 14, 19, 29, 49, 89, ___ ? ___
7. BMRG, DLTF, FKVE, HJXD, ___?___
8. 121, 144, 289, 324, 529, 576, __?__
9. 5, 21, 69, 213, 645, __?__
10. Find out the questioned number. 6 : 5 : : 8 : ?
11. In a row of trees, a tree is 7th from left end and 14the from the right end. How many trees are there in the row?
12. Shan is 55 years old, Sathian is 5 years junior to Shan and 6 years senior to Balan. The youngest brother of Balan is Devan and he is 7 years junior to him. So what is the age difference between Devan and Shah?
(a) 18 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 13 years
(d) 7 years
13. Vinod introduces Vishal as the son of the only brother of his father’s wife. How is Vinod related to Vishal?
14. There are 80 families in a small extension area. 20 per cent of these families own a car each. 50 per cent these families own a car each. 50 per cent of the remaining families own a motor cycle each. How many families in that extension do not own any vehicle?
15. If John celebrated his victory day on Tuesday, 5th January 1965, when will he celebrate his next victory day on the same day?
(a) 5th January 1970
(b) 5th January 1971
(c) 5th January 1973
(d) 5th January 1974
16. Fiver girls M, N, O, P and Q are standing in a row. P is on the right of Q. N is on the left of Q, but is on the right of M. P is on the left of O. Who is standing on the extreme right?
17. Sita is elder than Swapna. Lavanya is elder than Swapna but younger than Sita. Suvarna is younger than both Hari and Swapna, Swapna is elder than Hari. Who is the youngest?
18. After 9’O clock at what time between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. will the hour and minute hands of a clock point in opposite direction?
(a) 15 minutes past 9
(b) 16 minutes past 9
(c) minutes past 9
(d) minutes past 9
19. One evening, Raja started to walk toward the Sun. after walking a while, he turned to his right and again to his right. After walking a while, he again turned right. In which direction is he facing?
20. Vivek and Ashok start from a fixed point. Vivek moves 3 km north and turns right and them covers 4 km. Ashok moves 5 km west and turns right and walks 3 km, Now he far are they apart?
(a) 10 km
(b) 9 km
(c) 8 km
(d) 6 km
21. From the given alternative words, select the word which cannot be formed using the letters of the given word:
22. From the given alternative words, select he word which can be formed using the letters of the given word:
23. If in a certain code, RAMAYANA is written as PYKYWYLY, then how MAHABHARATA can be written in that code?
24. If MEKLF is coded as 91782 and LLLJK as 88867, then how can IGHED be coded?
25. Two statements are given below followed by four alternative inferences. Select the one which is most appropriate.
(i) All radios sold in that shop are of high standard.
(ii) Some of Murphy radios are sold in that shop.
1. All radios of high standard are manufacture by Murphy company,
2. Some of the Murphy radios of high standard.
3. None of the Murphy radios is of high standard.
4. Some of the Murphy radios of high standard are sold in that shop.
(a) 1 and 2 inferences only
(b) 2 and 4 inferences only
(c) 1 and 3 inferences only
(d) 1 and 4 inferences only
Directions (26-27): In each of the following questions, select the missing number from the given responses:
28. The population of rats is increasing year after year in a village. Find out the missing population from the following information:
Years : 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995
Population : 4 8 16 ? 44 64
29. If – stands for division, + for multiplication, ÷ for subtraction and × for addition, then which one of the following equations is correct?
(a) 19 + 5 – 4 × 2÷ 4 = 11
(b) 19 × 5 – 4 ÷ 2 + 4 = 16
(c) 19 ÷ 5 + 4 – 2 × 4 = 13
(d) 19 ÷ 5 + 4 + 2 ÷ 4 = 20
Directions (30-38): In each of the following questions, select the related letter / word /number from the given alternatives.
30. Country : President : : State : ?
(a) Chief Minister
(b) Prime Minister
31. Mirage : Desert : : ?
(a) Sky : Illusion
(b) Rainbow : Sky
(c) Rain : Rainbow
(d) Image : Mirror
32. TEKCAR : RACKET : : TCEJBO :?
33. JIHK : PONQ : : WVUX : ?
34. UUWX : WWYZ : : OOQR : ?
35. BIMN : CKPR : : CURD : ?
36. BCFE : HILK : : NORQ : ?
37. ? : 63 : : 08 : 26
38. 64 : ? : : 72 : 53
Directions (39-44): In each the following questions, find the odd number / letters / number pair from the given alternatives.
45. Some equations have been solved on the basis of certain system. Find the correct answer for the unsolved equation on that basis.
If 94 + 16 = 42, 89 + 23 = 78. then 63 + 45 = ?
46. Which one of the following diagrams represents the correct relationship among ‘Judge’. ‘Thief’ and ‘Criminal’?
47. How many triangles are there in the given figure?
Directions: From the given answer figures, select the one in which the question figure is hidden / embedded.
48. Question Figure
Directions: If a mirror is placed on the line MN, then which of the answer figures is the right image, of the given figure?
Directions: A piece of paper is folded and cut as shown below in the question figures. From the given answer figures, indicate how it will appear when opened.